Amlwch Harbour, Anglesey, Wales - April 28, 2018
The Watch House which was once located at the entrance to the Harbour before it was extended seawards.
Built in 1853, the three-storey lighthouse and watchtower has an attached single-storey range to the east. They are built of rubble masonry with limestone dressings and slate roofs. The lighthouse and watchtower has battered walls and a hipped roof. The lower two storeys have exposed stonework including large limestone quoins at angles and above the second storey is a slightly advanced string course above which the elevations are rendered. The windows are six-pane casements, one to each storey of the south elevation, and a single upper storey window at the west end of the north elevation (facing out to sea). It is listed as good, well-preserved, mid nineteenth century lighthouse and watchtower which retains original character.
The small enclosing pier which created a harbour of refuge was built in 1816. The original lighthouse, which the present structure replaces, was built in 1817 and had a fixed bright light. The Watchhouse was used by the hobblers (rowing boats and their crews) which were responsible for towing vessels in and out of harbour.