Lewis Merthyr Colliery - Rhondda
By 1880 WT Lewis had sunk the Bertie shaft, and in 1890 the Trefor shaft (both named after his sons), by which time the company had become known as the Lewis Merthyr Consolidated Collieries Ltd, employing some 5,000 men and producing almost a million tons of coal annually. The two headframes and associated colliery buildings are now Grade II* listed buildings.
In 1929 the colliery became part of the Powell Dyffryn Group. The colliery was nationalised in 1947.
In 1958 Lewis Merthyr Colliery and the neighbouring Ty Mawr Colliery merged and all coal winding ceased at Lewis Merthyr, with coaling continuing via Ty Mawr and men and supplies only at Lewis Merthyr.
By 1969 the Colliery had become the Ty Mawr - Lewis Merthyr Colliery.
Coal production at Ty Mawr - Lewis Merthyr production came to an end in 1983. A few years later the complex of buildings on the Lewis Merthyr site were conserved the site developed into the Rhondda Heritage Park.