The Great Laxey Mine - JHLPHOTOGRAPHY

Great Laxey Mine, Laxey, Isle of Man - August 1997

The Laxey Wheel (also known as Lady Isabella) is a large waterwheel built into the hillside above the village of Laxey in the Isle of Man.

Designed by Robert Casement, the wheel has a 72-foot-6-inch (22.1 m) diameter, is 6 feet (1.8 m) wide and revolves at approximately three revolutions per minute.

It was built in 1854 to pump water from the Glen Mooar part of the Great Laxey Mines industrial complex. Named "Lady Isabella" after the wife of Lieutenant Governor Charles Hope, who was the island's governor at that time.

The wheel is currently maintained by Manx National Heritage as part of the Great Laxey Wheel & Mines Trail.

PCD1621IMG0052GREAT LAXEY MINELAXEYWATERWHEELMININGISLE OF MANMANXCELTICGAELICMUSEUMMANX NATIONAL HERITAGEL2011LADY ISABELLAMINING HISTORY1997