East Wheal Rose, Cornwall - June 23, 1983
East Wheal Rose is located close to the village of St Newlyn East. The surviving engine house over North Shaft was constructed in the winter of 1881 and housed one of the largest pumping engines ever used in Cornwall. A 100-inch beam engine, known as the 'Great Hundred' was purchased to prevent the mine flooding. There had been a flooding disaster at the mine in 1846 which resulted in the deaths of 39 miners. The mine closed in 1886 and the site is now used as pleasure grounds served by the Lappa Valley Railway.