Killifreth Mine sett lies about a mile northeast of St. Day to the west of the village of Chacewater. Hawke’s Shaft is noted for its pumping engine house having the tallest chimney in Cornwall. The large engine house originally contained an 80-inch pumping engine. It’s notable chimney was enlarged following the mine’s reopening in 1911 to provide sufficient draft for a larger 85-inch engine which had been bought second hand from North Wales. Operations were suspended during the First World War but briefly resumed between 1919 and 1920. A further attempt to resume mining in 1927 were thwarted by vandalism to the engine and head frame. The engine and remaining plant fell victim to the scrap man during World War II. The engine house was consolidated and conserved shortly before the photographs in this gallery were taken.