Giew Mine, Cornwall
The mine is known to have been working from the mid-eighteenth century. In its time Giew has been known as Gew, Reeth Consols, Trink and St. Ives Consols. The remaining buildings cantered around Frank's Shaft are only the easternmost of a number of shafts all working the area.
The engine house dates from 1874 as can be seen above the arched window. This was part of the re-working of Giew Mine started in 1869 by Thomas Treweeke.
Other shafts, running from east to west include Blackburn's, Robinsons Engine, Martins, Ladock Shaft and Giew Engine Shaft where it joined Billia Consols Mine.
In 1908 Giew Mine was taken over by St Ives Consolidated Mines Ltd, whose main workings included Wheal Trenwith, and others, two miles to the north. In 1917, the Thermo Electric Corporation that had taken over the group in 1915 abandoned all but Wheal Giew, which continued in production through the period of depression following the Great War (1914-18); it was the only active tin producer in the years 1921-22.
During the final working of the mine electric power was used and the engine house was converted into an ore bin.
Giew mine closed in 1923. In 1994 extensive consolidation / conservation of the landmark Frank’s Shaft engine house was undertaken.