Tresco - Isles of Scilly - JHLPHOTOGRAPHY

Tresco, Isles of Scilly - August 1994

St Nicholas Church, Isles of Scilly.
St Nicholas's Church, Tresco, is a parish church in the Church of England located in Tresco, Isles of Scilly, UK.
Edith Dorrien-Smith laid the foundation stone of the Anglican church of St Nicholas on 12 September 1877, near the old building. The principal benefactor was Lady Sophia Tower and was opened for worship on 17 June 1879 by Edward White Benson, the first Bishop of Truro. It was consecrated on July 16, 1882, a delay due to an undisclosed ″legal difficulty″. The dedication of the church to St Nicholas is the same as the dedication of the medieval Tresco Abbey, the remains of which are in Tresco Abbey Gardens. The new churchyard, included the old one, and was planted with aloes, dracaenas, flowering plants and evergreens.
The three-panelled reredos is made of red serpentine and inlaid with a marble cross, aureola and sacred emblems. It was fixed in position in May 1879. The font is also made of serpentine, mounted on small granite columns.
The reredos and font were manufactured by Messrs Bradbury at their serpentine manufactury at the Folly, Penzance. The reredos was made to the designs of Charles Eamer Kempe

SCY04831994CORNWALLDORRIEN SMITHENGLANDISLAND OF TRESCOisles of scillyjohn h. luxton photographyKERNOWscilloniascilly islesscillyTRESCO ESTATETRESCO ISLANDUKwww.jhluxton.comCHURCHST NICHOLAS CHURCHCHURCH OF ENGLANDANGLICAN CHURCH