Round Island Lighthouse, Round Island, Isles of Scilly - June 04, 1993
View of Round Island and Round Island Light House.
Prior to 1887, St. Agnes Lighthouse safeguarded vessels in the southern approaches to the Isles of Scilly and Bishop Rock Lighthouse did the same to the west. But the unlit dangerous northern limits were hazardous, especially in fog. Accordingly, a lighthouse was built on Round Island, a small granite islet six miles north east of Bishop Rock and two and a half miles north of St. Mary’s.
The top of Round Island forms a platform on which Trinity House built a lighthouse and dwellings in 1887 in difficult conditions; the sheer rock face made the unloading of building materials almost impossible. The work was carried out by William Tregarthen Douglass of the famous Douglass lighthouse-building dynasty. Today the only access, apart from by helicopter, is by a flight of steps cut into the solid rock.
The lighthouse was automated in 1987 and is now monitored and controlled from Trinity House’s Planning Centre in Harwich, Essex.