Windermere Lake Cruises - July 20, 2018
Lakeside Pier Terminal and Station on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway. It was previously the terminus of the Furness Railway (Later London Midland and Scottish Railway) Ulverston to Lakeside Line, which was closed in 1965
The station was built as an extension of the line from Ulverston to Newby Bridge, and this opened in 1872. At this time, the Furness Railway, also bought the steamers, and the station became an interchange facility with the lake steamers.
Originally, the station had two platforms and an overall roof. When the services stopped on the line in 1965, the station fell into disrepair, and in 1978, British Railways removed the roof and demolished the clock tower and main station building.
The station reopened as part of the heritage Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway in 1973, with trains running to the nearby station of Haverthwaite, roughly an eighteen-minute journey. Due to road building the railway is severed from the remainder of the railway network.