Tintern Wire Works Branch
In 1866 the Wye Valley Railway Company announced that it would not build a line through the village of Tintern, but by-pass it. To make up for this the company was forced to build a branch to the wireworks on the other side of Tintern. The Wye Valley Amendment Act was passed on 14 June 1875 stating that the company would forever maintain the branch and junction in good repair; as well as setting the regulations on running the line
By August 1875, before the opening of the branch, the Abbey Wireworks Company had ceased trading. The line remained practically unused until the early 1880s when the works were taken over by the Abbey Wire and Tinplate Company; this venture was short lived and the works closed in 1901. The branch lines own owned locomotive was sold around this time motive power was provided by horses taking rolling stock into the village to serve sawmills and a turnery works.
The railway closed in 1935 and the tracks lifted to aid the war effort in 1941. The junction remained in place until 1945.
The impressive bridge constructed by the Isca Foundry Company of Newport Monmouthshire was converted into a foot / road vehicle bridge which provides a link to foot paths on the Gloucestershire (English) side of the River Wye and road access to farms and dwellings.
Latest photographs added January, 2017
Click here for photographs of Tintern Railway Station: http://www.jhluxton.com/Railways-and-Tramways/Railway-Remains-and-Relics/Tintern-Railway-Station-Monmou/