Point of Ayre Lighthouse
Owing to the continuous accumulation of shingle and gravel deposited by the strong currents, a smaller light commonly referred to as 'The Winkie' had to be built 750 feet (230 m) to the seaward side of the main tower in 1899. This was then repositioned a further 250 feet (76 m) in the same direction and for the same reasons in 1950.
The Winkie' light was discontinued on 7 April 2010 and was offered for sale in 2015 and is now in private ownership.
The lighthouse was automated in 1993 and the fog signal station discontinued in 2005. The buildings around the lighthouse are now in private ownership.