Douglas Head Lighthouse was established in 1857, although the vicinity was under the control of the Isle of Man Harbour Board from 1832. It was constructed by the engineering brothers David and Thomas Stevenson with a total elevation of 32 metres (105 ft). The white tower is 20 metres (66 ft) in height and its base is at an elevation of 12 metres (39 ft). The lighthouse staircase has 71 steps and the light has an average range of 24 nautical miles (44 km). ]The lantern is composed of eight brilliant reflectors made of pure silver built in 1831. The light flashes white every ten seconds. The lighthouse became automated in 1986.