Laxey Glen Mills, Laxey, Isle of Man - July 31, 2017
In 1858 Captain Richard Rowe of the nearby Laxey Mines engaged the industrial engineer Robert Casement to construct a mill in Laxey Glen adjacent to the Glen Roy River. Casement had been responsible for the construction of the nearby Lady Isabella waterwheel used at Laxey Mine for pumping.
Laxey Glen Mill was completed in 1860 and the first miller employed by Rowe, Thomas Corlett, set to work immediately.
In 1873, the Mill was engulfed in flames when a substantial fire broke out initially on the hillside to the south west of the building. The Mill itself was damaged mainly by water and was a major setback to Rowe’s expectations of a return on his investment.
Three years later Rowe put the business up for auction but did not secure a sale and it was 1880 before the business and the property was taken over by the incumbent miller Corlett who managed to negotiate an excellent price of £2,100 effecting a loss of around £8,000 to Rowe on his investment.
Thomas Corlett Senior’s died in 1910 when the operations were taken over by his two sons Thomas Junior MHK - and Robert.
There was another fire in 1921 which gutted the building. A further fire in 1928 affected the third floor of the reconstructed mill. Extensive water damage led to the mills closure. However, in 1932 the Mill was reopened by Gilbert Corlett.
The mill survived financial problems in the 1970s and 80s and is currently operated by Laxey Glen Mills Ltd.