The Douglas Head War Memorial, Douiglas, Isle of Man - July 02, 2017
The Douglas Head War Memorial was erected on Douglas Head which is the feature which would have been seen by Manxmen when leaving their native land. It was the gift of Mr J. Leigh Goldie-Taubman, M.L.O., and was formally unveiled by the Lieutenant.-Governor.
The memorial was originally in the form of a Celtic cross and stood 28 feet high. The shaft and runic cross weigh nine tons, while the base, which is made of rustic limestone from Castletown, weighs no less than forty tons. On each side near the base, a slate tablet is let into panels. The inscription on one tablet reads : " This monument is erected by John Leigh Goldie-Taubman, of the Nunnery." The inscription on the other tablet reads: "To the chivalry of the men of this Island and all who died for us. A token of profound admiration and deep gratitude. ' These leave a notable example to such as be young, to die willingly and courageously.'-(II. Macc. vi. 28.)"
Unfortunately the original cross blew down in a gale on October 11, 1928 and was replaced by this more simpler construction using the original plinth.