Two Bridges - The Heart of Dartmoor
By 1891, these had disappeared and there was just a single bridge, further downstream, over the West Dart.
Today, however, there are again two bridges on the site, because a more modern structure was added in the 1930s alongside its earlier predecessor. Visitors often mistakenly assume that these are the same two bridges that gave the name to the site.
In the 18th century, Two Bridges was best known for its potato market. The site was no doubt chosen because it is in a central location, and easily accessible on what was then, and still is now, the only usable road across Dartmoor. Some small quarries in the vicinity show that there was also light industry in the area. Those who met and worked in this remote spot were able to gain refreshment and lodging at the Saracen's Head Inn. It was built in 1794 as a coaching inn, and much extended, still stands there today as the Two Bridges Hotel. It continues to be a popular meeting point for tourists and walkers. The area is also surrounded by prehistoric antiquities, including Bronze age settlements, stone rows and an impressive standing stone, the Beardown Man, situated to the north west. The ancient Wistman’s Wood is a short walk away.