World Museum, Liverpool - March 03, 2017
The World Museum Liverpool in William Brown Street, Liverpool.
Land for the new building on a street then known as Shaw's Brow opposite St. George's Hall was donated by local MP and Merchant William Brown, as was much of the funding for the building which would be known as the William Brown Library and Museum. Around 400,000 people attended the opening of the new building in 1860.
In the late 19th century, the museum's collection was beginning to outgrow its building so a competition was launched to design a combined extension to the museum and college of technology. The competition was won by William Mountford and the College of Technology and Museum Extension opened in 1901.
Liverpool, being one of the UK's major ports, was heavily damaged by German bombing during the blitz. While much of the Museum's collection was moved to less vulnerable locations during the war, the museum building itself was struck by German firebombs and suffered heavy damage. Parts of the museum only began to reopen fifteen years later.
In the early first decade of the 21st century, the museum was again expanded, taking over the lower half of the extension which was then owned by Liverpool John Moores University. To better reflect its larger size, the museum was renamed World Museum Liverpool
L20170265EnglandHistoric BuildingJohn H. Luxton PhotographyLeicaLiverpoolLiverpool MuseumMerseysideMuseumWILLIAM BROWN STREETWORLD MUSEUM LIVERPOOLwww.jhluxton.comLeica XVarioArchitectureUK
From Liverpool City Centre