Cotehele Quay, Caradon , Cornwall March 16, 1983
River Tamar sailing barge SHAMROCK was built in the Stonehouse yard of Frederick Hawke as a Ketch rigged Tamar sailing barge in 1899.
SHAMROCK is 17.5m (57ft 6in) long, has a beam of 5.51m (18ft 1in), a hold depth of 1.62m (5ft 4in) and was initially registered as of 31.71 tons gross. Her hold is 6.7m (22ft) by 3.5m (11ft) and main mast is 12.5m (42ft) high.
After a long varied working life she ended up being used as a scrap iron store in Hooe Lake Plymouth. She was acquired by the National Maritime Museum and, in conjunction with the National Trust, taken to Cotehele Quay in 1973 as a restoration project.
The restoration restored Shamrock to as she was after being converted to a coastal vessel in the early 1920's and was completed in 1979. She now has the distinction of being the last working Tamar Sailing barge.
SHAMROCK was named after the unsuccessful Irish challenger for the 10th America's Cup Race in 1899. She is considered to be the most advanced Tamar sailing barge ever built - it was a conscious effort to design a vessel which would carry the maximum cargo for her size on the minimum draft and at the lowest operating and maintenance costs.
Shamrock is now permanently berthed at Cotehele Quay, a National Trust property, and still has occasional trips up and down the river.
SHAMROCK is listed on the National Trust Collections website, and has inventory number 348277. She is also listed on the UK National Historic Ships Register, maintained by the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, and has Certificate number 665.
CORNWALLENGLANDKERNOWGREAT BRITAINUNITED KINGDOMUKCOTEHELECOTHELE QUAYNATIONAL MARITIME MUSEUMNATIONAL TRUSTINDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGYHISTORIC ARCHITECTUREhistoric portRIVER TAMARCARADONCARADON DISTRICTHISTORIC SHIPSHAMROCKTAMAR SAILING BARGE