St Fagans National History Museum - JHLPHOTOGRAPHY
shopify analytics ecommerce tracking
ActionActionAltAdjustAlertAlert2AngleBracketDownAngleBracketLeftAngleBracketLeftSlimAngleBracketRightAngleBracketRightSlimAngleBracketUpic AspectRectable 18dpic AspectSquare 18dpBrowserCalendarCameraPhotoCameraPhoto2CameraVideo2CartCart2CartAddCartAdd2CheckmarkCommentComment2CreditCardCropDesktopDownloadDownload2EditEdit2EmailEmail2FlagFlag2FolderFolder2FolderOpenFullScreenGalleryGallery2GearHeartHeartOutlinedHelpHelpEncircledHideHistoryHistory2HomeHome2ImageImage2InfoInfoEncircledInfoEncircled2LaptopLayoutLinkLockLock2MenuMenu2MinusMinusSlimMobileMoreHorizMoreVertPagePage2PausePlayPlusPlusSlimPrinterSearchSearch2ShareSizesStarStarOutlinedSyncTabletTagTrashTrash2UploadUpload2UserUsersVideoCameraViewWarningWrenchXCrossActionActionAltAddAdjustAlertAlert2AmazonAndroidAppleArrowBackArrowNextBrowserCameraPhotoCameraPhoto2CartCart2CartAddCheckCloseCommentComment2CropCursorMoveDesktopDownloadDropboxFacebookFlickrFolderFolder2FullScreenSlimGalleryGallery2GoogleDriveGooglePhotosHelpEncircledHelpEncircled2HistoryHistory2HomeHome2InfoEncircledInfoEncircled2LaptopLayoutLightroomLinkLockLock2MenuMobileMoreHorizMoreVertNavigateBackNavigateNextPaintPausePeoplePeople2PersonPerson2PhoneSavePlayPrinterRemoveSearchSettingsSettings2ShareSharePrivateSizesSmugMugStarStar2TabletTrashTrash2TwitterUploadUpload2Wrench Page 1Page 1 CopyCombined ShapeCombined ShapeCombined ShapeCombined ShapetemplatestemplatesEZprints-98404-landscapeEZprints-98404-portraittemplatestemplatesEZprints-98406-landscapeEZprints-98406-portraitEZprints-98407-landscapeEZprints-98407-portraittemplatestemplatestemplatestemplatesEZprints-98416-landscapeEZprints-98416-portraitEZprints-98417-landscapeEZprints-98417-portraitEZprints-98418-landscapeEZprints-98418-portraitEZprints-98419-landscapeEZprints-98419-portraitshared-style-defs

St Fagans National History Museum, Cardiff - December 29, 2016

Nant Wallter Cottage from Taliaris, Carmarthenshire. Built circa 1770, moved to St Fagans in 1990 and opened to the public in 1993.

This cottage is built of clay or mud, known locally as clom. The clay was dug on the site and mixed with straw, earth and small stones and then laid in layers, which had to be allowed to dry for several days before the next one could be added. The roof is supported by timbers joined together to form two sets of scarfed crucks, on which wattle, gorse and finally straw thatch were laid. The half-loft, partition and chimney-breast are also made of wattle-work.
The original occupants worked on the nearby Taliaris estate, on whose land the cottage was built, probably about 1770. The plain furniture depicts the home of a farm labourer at the end of the 18th century.
The settle placed by the fireside was an important piece in the cottage, providing a draught-free sitting area for the family. The table was also a practical piece, being long and narrow to provide more living space and fitted with deep drawers for storage.
In the sleeping area are two post beds - the posts would have originally been used to hang sacking in order to keep the warmth in at night.

L20167204John H. Luxton PhotographyLeicaLeica Mwww.jhluxton.comBritish IslescaerdyddcardiffFOLK MUSEUMCymruGreat Britainhistoric architecturehistoric buildingshistoryliving historyMuseum of Welsh LifeMuseumSain Ffagan Amgueddfa Werin CymruSt fagansSaint FagansSouth GlamorganSt fagans national history museumwalesUK