Torrington Station - September 03, 1982.
Torrington Station - September 03, 1982. The Station had opened as a terminus on the London and South Western Railway line from Barnstaple Junction on July 18, 1872. It remained a terminus until the opening of the North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway which opened in July 1925. This line formed an end-on junction at Torrington and partly replaced a former mineral railway which had served clay pits in the Meeth and Marland area. However, the North Devon and Cornwall line continued across a sparse agricultural to make a junction with the LSWR line from Okehampton.
Though Torrington closed to regular passenger services on October 04, 1965. However, occasional excrusion trains still called. The station remained open for freight traffic including milk and fertilizer. The original goods shed and one platform being replaced by a new rail served fertilizer depot in the 1970s. Unfortunately the milk, fertilizer and clay traffic switched to road transport and the station was finally closed on March 05, 1983.
Camera: Contax 139, Carl Zeiss Planar f1.7 Planar Lens, AGFA CT100 film
TORRINGTONDEVONENGLANDUKTORRINGTON STATIONDEVON AND CORNWALL LIGHT RAILWAYLONDON SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAYSOUTHERN RAILWAYBRITISH RAILWAYSSOUTHERN REGIONABANDONED RAILWAYSDERELICT STATIONSTATION