Seaton Junction Station - April 04, 1978
Seaton Junction Station - April 04, 1978 looking towards Axminster.
Seaton Junction is located on the former London South Western Railway mainline from London Waterlool to Exeter. It served as an interchange point for the Seaton Branch Line. It is located 3 miles west of Axminster and 7 miles east of Honiton in east Devon.
Originally named "Colyton for Seaton" the station opened on 19 July 1860 on completion of the Exeter Extension of the London and South Western Railway from Yeovil Junction to Exeter Queen Street.
With the opening of the Seaton Branch on 16 March 1868 the name was changed to "Colyton Junction", before finally becoming "Seaton Junction" on 18 July 1869.
Originally trains arriving from the Seaton branch had to reverse into "down" (westbound) platform, however the station was reconstructed in 1927/8 with two through tracks on the main line and loops to the newly extended platforms. At the same time a new branch line platform was added, set at an angle of 45° to the main line.
The closure of the station to passenger trains coincided with that of the Seaton Branch Line on March 07, 1966 as the station itself served a very limited number of local houses.
General freight trains continued to be catered for until May 08, 1967. However, milk trains continued to call at the station well into the 1970s serving the Express Dairies plant. When these scenes were taken the up platform line was still in place as this had been used by the milk trains.
Camera: Praktica Nova 1, Carl Zeiss Tessar f2.8 50mm lens. AGFA CT18 film
SEATON JUNCTIONDEVONENGLANDUKSEATON JUNCTION STATIONLONDON SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAYSOUTHERN RAILWAYBRITISH RAILWAYSSOUTHERN REGIONABANDONED RAILWAYSDERELICT STATIONSTATION