South Caradon Mine mine began operations in 1833 and worked until about 1870. Its finest year's production was the £57,040.40 made from the 5,144 tons of copper raised in 1864. Between 1874 and 1879 South Caradon rose to become the 3rd largest copper producer in the southwest, with Kitford's and Caunter Lodes yielding much of the ore raised. It was, by far, the deepest and richest mine of the whole Caradon group of mines and is known to have produced over 202,000 tons of high grade (10.25%) copper ore between 1838 and 1885. The mine reopened briefly between 1883 and 1886.