The One O'Clock Gun - Morpeth Dock, Birkenhead.
Situated close to the dock and overlooking the river, the One O'Clock Gun provided a time signal to shipping on the Mersey. It was fired electrically from Bidston Observatory for the first time on 21 September 1867 and the original cannon was a relic of the Crimean War. Due to the advent of radio and increasing maintenance costs, by 1932 it was proposed to discontinue the practice. Although this did not occur, firing was suspended during the Second World War. The tradition ceased altogether on 18 July 1969.