Birkenhead Priory - January 08, 2011
St. Mary's Tower, Birkenhead Priory, stands next to the Cammell Laird ship yard in BIrkenhead. The tomb of the founder of the yard John Laird stands in the grounds. The tower was restored in the early 1990s as part of the visitor centre opened on the site of the historic Birkenhead Prioy whose mons had been responsible for starting the ferry service across the Mersey. Plaques in the tower stairwell commemorate the crew and Cammell Laird employees who lost their lives when His Majesty's Submarine THETIS sank during trials off Anglesey in 1939. - January 08, 2011.
BIRKENHEADWIRRALLAIRDSIDERIVER MERSEYPIER HEADMERSEY WATERFRONTMERSEYSIDEENGLANDUKUNITED KINGDOMLAIRDARCHITECTURECHURCH